Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Blog #5:


The major elements of sustainable farming are meeting the current population needs without scarificing the future needs, protecting the quality and water supply, maintaining biodiversity and habitats, renewable energy resources and plant and animal production processes. Ecological principles are woven into this framework by carefully managing the livestock and crops so they do not devastate the environment. Also, by tailoring choices to minimize the devastating effects they can have. The principles are also woven because this type of farming works to make only what we need and not over production the land. I sometimes buy organic foods such as fruit, meat, and dairy products because I do not like the harsh chemicals they use on the animals or the hormones. I buy organic fruit simply because I prefer the taste, but I do not buy them all the time due to the cost. I feel disconnected to the food system because it is so mass produced. If the products came from local farms and markets I think that there would be a more connection for people if we all recieved our produce this way. If there was space on campus to grow my own veggies and fruit I most likely would grow my own or if we grew fruit and veggies on campus and had a market every month then I would participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment